The City of Colbert was originally chartered as Five Forks in 1899. The community developed where roads from Diamond Hill, Danielsville, Comer, Crawford, and Athens converged. In 1909, the town’s name was changed to Colbert in honor of the Colbert family, among the area’s early residents.
The railroad came through Five Forks in 1891, and the historic Colbert Depot was constructed in 1892. The depot served as Colbert City Hall for many years. In December 2020, City Hall moved to the former Colbert School building at 60 W. First Avenue.
Cotton played an important role in the community’s early economy. Colbert’s annual Independence Day Celebration began in 1970 and remains one of the city’s most cherished traditions. Red cannas, the city’s official flower since the 1960s, continue to brighten the community and symbolize Colbert’s distinctive character.
The History of Colbert is a 150-page book chronicling the people, places, and events that helped shape our community.
Copies are available for purchase at Colbert City Hall for $25.00. Books must be purchased in person during regular office hours. Payment may be made by cash, check, or card.
For availability or additional information, please contact City Hall at (706) 788-2311.
The History of Colbert is a 150-page book chronicling the people, places, and events that helped shape our community.
Copies are available for purchase at Colbert City Hall for $25.00. Books must be purchased in person during regular office hours. Payment may be made by cash, check, or card.
For availability or additional information, please contact City Hall at (706) 788-2311.